The history of Pilisvörösvár
In fact the history of Pilisvörösvár began when the Roman legions marched along the Roman way spread at the border of the today’s town to conquer the West towards Brigetio (Szőny), Arrabona (Győr), Scarabantia (Szombathely), Vindobona (Bécs). In today’s part of the town called Freedomgrove an assistant camp was available for the service of the legions. This is certified by archeologic research and the milestones set up in the court of the Town Library.
In 1543 a hoarding-castle was built by Lala Musztafa at the crossing of the ways – for the defence of the way leading from Buda to Esztergom – made of stone, hoarding and red clay. The castle sparkled redly even from afar. That is why the Turks called it “kizil hiszár palankaszani”, namely red hoarding castle, Vörösvár (red castle) for short. It got the name Pilisvörösvár in 1901, when it became a community of settled right. The region ravaged and sacked by the Turks was uninhabited temporarily. The first landlord of Vörösvár, count László Csáky asked emperor I. Lipót for German peasants and settlers in order to cultivate the land. As far back as that year, in 11 August 1689 the first settlers appeared, four families from the southern part of Germany. The settlers arrived at the Podmaniczky family’s unoccupied land, in the settlement called Kyszntho (Kisszántó) or Kyralyzanthoya (Királyszántója). Forest were cut down, the land was reclaimed and made fertile. The hard-working settlers created a flourishing agriculture.
,From the middle of the XVIII. century Jewish merchants arrived as well. According to the contemporary descriptions Vörösvár was a significant country centre of the Jewish religious life. The rare toms of the Jewish culture of the age can be found in the Jewish Cemetery. On Mária Terézia’s orders in 1749 the so called “postway” was finished. In 1752 the deljszánsz (stagecoach service) transporting passengers got moving. One of its stops had been in Vörösvár till 1888. The post station was situated in the building of the today’s town hall. The advantageous situation of the town, the ways passing through and the railway made the development possible.
Since the sixteenth of November 1895 had been running through Pilisvörösvár the first train, on the Budapest-Esztergom line. In 1896 a Belgian financial group had opened a coalmine in the neighboring village, Pilisszentiván. After a short time it turned out, that the coalmine reaches Pilisvörösvár. 1903 began the sinking of the twin-coalmine in the south part of Pilisvörösvár. In 1940 they closed the coalmine because of the political background. While the production was developing, the situation of the miners was getting worse, thats why on the twenty-third of November 1928 the miners began to strike. On the twentieth of January 1929 the miners reached a compromise with the leaders of the coalmine. A memorial, made by a local plastic artist named Bajnok Béla, is standing in front of the town hall, which is reminding us on the miners-strike.
The coalmine was of great significance to the development of the village and for it’s financial existence. In 1923 the coalmine allowed Pilisvörösvár to organise the electrification.
The hungarian histories dark sides and its wars reached Pilisvörösvár too. In the first world war nearly 100 soldiers from Pilisvörösvár died in the fights. In 1944 50 jewish families were taken to concentracion camps, only ten returned from the camps, and all in all 5 returned to Pilisvörösvár. The fact, that inhabitants of Pilisvörösvár didn’ t agree with the nazi theories, helped them to survive the second world war. In Pilisvörösvár the authorities didn’t threaten or harm the people, because for running the armaments industry, they needed lot of people working in the industry. Between 1941 and 1949 269 inhabitants of Pilisvörösvár died or disappeared in the war.
The author was given 1993 “Pilisvörösvár Díszpolgára” honours
(Pilisvörösvár’s freeman honours)
History of the town’s name and blazon
The blazon is shieldshaped and blue groun-coloured. A red board-castle on it’s bottom with updrawn laticed entrance. Over this blue sky and one silver coloured eagle it’s wings are open wild and head turned right. A red-clay plastered board-castle reminds for the path while the blue colour and silver eagle refer to the german origin of the population.
/ Pilisvörösvár Town Commune Representative-corporation 16/2000.(IX.25) Kt.sz.fiat about foundation and prescription of Pilisvörösvár Town’s blazon and flag and seal.
Turkish conquerors and the survived local population in 1543 against the probable attachs had build together that bankcastle made of red-clay and pegs it’s became to the name of the settlement Pilisvörösvár’s name dated to the age of turkish conquest. The settlement become a town it’s blazon depicted on this event.
The board-castle had made by Lala Musztafa it’s turkish name: “Kizil hiszár palankaszi”, namely:”Vörösvár palánka”. (Comment that other local remark about the origin of the name it’s came from the neighboring Red-mountains alleged castle.)
The economy of the town
Pilisvörösvár is a city, where the society is relatively unopened, and the local customs mean a strong cohesion in the communities life.
After 1945 in the name of the “folk democracy” began the farmers’ co-operative process. Through the rural industrialisation new industrial facilities were born in the area. More and more people were working in the local industry. The economic development of the town assured the advance of education, culture and public health. The changes of the nineties reformed the economic constraction too.
A retail-shop chain was building out round about Pilisvörösvár and its neighbouring settlements.
At the end of the XX. century the family-enterprises played a principial role in Pilisvörösvár. The number of the craftsmen was under 200 untill the nineties, but in 1995 322 craftsmen were working in the town. In 1999 355 craftsmen, 535 industrial and commercial enterprises and 17 agrarian enterprises existed in the city. Many foreign investors came to Pilisvörösvár, whose capital is perceptible in the development. The offsprings of the ancestries living on agriculture managed their rich heritage well.